ONONDAGA COMMUNITY LIVING
518 James Street
Syracuse, New York 13203
To take primary responsibility for the inclusive educational experience
of an assigned student each semester at Syracuse University.
- Willingness to work with persons with special needs at Syracuse
- Be an advocate for the student to promote an inclusive learning
environment in academic and social settings
- Exhibit strong communication skills
- Exhibit an excellent work ethic
- Be self motivated
- Be a life long learner
- Be a team member
- Show versatility
An average of 20hours/week part time position with flexibility
built in for classes, assignments, meetings and social events. A
schedule will be determined and followed based upon the needs of
the individual being supported. This schedule may change based on
the individuals needs. Additional hours may be scheduled periodically
for training, community meetings and supervision. You are to notify
your supervisor of any requested time off and are responsible to
ensure coverage for the time taken off. It is up to you to work
with any other supporters, the supervisor and others to ensure adequate
coverage is maintained. The position is to submit a time sheet with
any related mileage biweekly, maintain contact hours correctly and
documentation for all days worked. Time off during college breaks.
Year around position fall, spring and summer semesters.
You must be able to work independently, must be able to show good
judgment and be able to make independent decisions as needed. Higher
education in human service field strongly desired. Must minimally
have a high school diploma or equivalent education with some college
experience. Comparable life experience considered. Must possess
a strong desire to support an individual with a disability in an
inclusive educational setting at a university level. Must have a
valid drivers license, own transportation available and phone.
You must have no restrictions in lifting, bending, standing or sitting
and must be able to provide personal care assistance as needed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Supervised by the Access Coordinator. Work with SU Liaison, College
Mentors and college interns. Supervises no one.
Job Classification: This is an hourly non-exempt position.
Job Description/Responsibilities and Duties:
- Attend all training sessions.
- Meet with student before each class for a class prep session.
- Take primary responsibility for the inclusive educational experience
of an assigned student each semester.
- Meet with the Coordinator no less than weekly to develop proper
study adaptations or alternative teaching methods that meet class
goals and assignments.
- Work with the Coordinator and student to develop an individualized
educational plan for the student each semester.
- Regularly document the students progress toward identified
- Review (and revise if necessary) the educational plan with the
student and Coordinator at regular intervals throughout each semester.
- Support the students natural integration into all aspects
of the class.
- Work with the Access Coordinator to set up proper support for
the student with all homework, papers, assignments, research,
study groups, studying, reading, exams etc. so that the student
is able to maximize the learning in each class.
- Support the student to develop a positive relationship with
their professor and class peers.
- Ensure that each class is meaningful and purposeful for the
student, working to adapt and organize materials and learning
experiences based upon that students personal learning style.
- Ensure notes are maintained in the students personal file
at the Access Coordinators office, based upon the established
educational plan, personal goals and course requirements.
- Work closely with any associated Interns so that they can bridge
off from current relationships and interests while helping the
student to broaden their social experiences.
- Support the students personal care needs (as necessary).
- Report any and all unusual occurrences or difficulties as soon
as possible to the Access Coordinator.
- Work with the Coordinator to develop appropriate back up support
with other CMs during staff absences, so that the student
does not miss out on classes or assignments.
- Supports the student in summer classes or with summer job placements.
- Assumes other duties as requested by the supervisor.